Thursday, June 16, 2016

Changing Surnames: Terindelli to Trindell

Among the puzzles I found over the years was that of Louis Trindell bn abt 1860 in Italy.  He married Mary Rubega who was born about 1870 before 1890 in Italy and they had one son Henry born there. They immigrated to New Jersey before 1898 when son Joseph was born.  Other children found in the 1920 census in New Jersey included Clet and Felix.  This was the only Trindell family that I found connected to Italy, so I sometimes wondered if Louis had a background elsewhere.  But....I finally found the 1910 census record for ....

Luigi Terindelli, wife Mary and children Harry, Samuel, Joseph, Clet and Felix.  Samuel was born in Italy, pinpointing immigration



I still have not found Luigi in the 1900 census, but Clet's christening at Saint Joseph of The Palisades Catholic Church in 1902 in Hudson Co. NJ is indexed on FamilySearch.

Another example of why one needs to be open to "all" spellings!  I wonder if the 1900 record is hiding with yet another spelling of Terindelli.  

2 comments:

  1. The actual family name was Tirindelli and was later changed to Trindell by Luigi Tirindelli a/k/a Louis Trindell. I know this is my family.

    ReplyDelete